⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for OMIP biogeochemistry and chemistry

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 13:33:41 +0100

Dear Paul

Thank you for this list. It looks like they conform well to existing patterns
and it must have been a lot of work to compile them!

I have a couple of comments:

* Several pairs of names contrast "abiotic" and "natural", apparently. Am I
right to understand that these are opposites? That's not obvious to me. Not
everything which is "natural" in the Earth system is biotic. In other contexts,
"natural" and "anthropogenic" are opposites. Would it be correct to say
"biotic" instead of "natural" here?

* There are several dimensionless quantities referring to X_limitation_of_Y,
where X is nitrogen, iron or irradiance and Y is a class of organisms. It
would be more informative if you could insert a phrase which indicates what is
limited and/or how this quantity is defined - it must be a ratio, I suppose,
but of what?

I assume that definitions will be needed as well for the stdname table.