⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_names for wind stress curl, wind stress divergence

From: Bruce Hackett <bruceh>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2016 16:47:22 +0200

Picking this up again after a long silence.

I have been discussing this with my colleagues at KNMI and have gotten some
comments from Alison Pamment (thanks). The conclusion is that we would like
to revise the suggestion somewhat.

The proposal for the wind stress divergence is essentially unchanged, we
just add the units.

The proposal for the wind stress curl is modified to bring it in line with
what we are producing, which is the vertical component (indeed a scalar!).

We hope this will be acceptable to the community.

The revised proposal is:
-------------------------------

standard_name: divergence_of_surface_downward_stress
units: N/m^3
magnitude of the 2D surface wind downward stress vector field's source
(positive) or sink (negative) at a given point. The surface called
"surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Downward" indicates
a downward flux of momentum, which accelerates the lower medium along the
vector and the upper medium against the vector. The surface downward stress
is the wind stress on the surface.'

--------------------------------

standard_name: vertical_component_of_surface_downward_stress_curl
units: N/m^3
'The vertical component of the stress curl is a signed scalar that
represents the magnitude of the 2D surface wind downward stress vector
field's local anti-clock-wise rotation at a given point; clockwise rotation
is thus given as negative curl. The surface called "surface" means the
lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Downward" indicates a downward flux of
momentum, which accelerates the lower medium along the vector and the upper
medium against the vector. The surface downward stress is the wind stress
on the surface.'
Best regards,
Bruce

> Here are proposed definitions provided by my colleague Ad Stoffelen at
> KNMI:
>
> -------------------------------
>
> divergence_of_surface_downward_stress
>
> The divergence is a signed scalar that represents the magnitude of the 2D
> surface wind downward stress vector field's source (positive) or sink
> (negative) at a given point. The surface called "surface" means the lower
> boundary of the atmosphere. "Downward" indicates a downward flux of
> momentum, which accelerates the lower medium along the vector and the upper
> medium against the vector. The surface downward stress is the wind stress
> on the surface.
>
> --------------------------------
>
> curl_of_surface_downward_stress
>
> The curl is a signed scalar that represents the magnitude of the 2D
> surface wind downward stress vector field's local anti-clock-wise rotation
> at a given point; clockwise rotation is thus given as negative curl. The
> surface called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere.
> "Downward" indicates a downward flux of momentum, which accelerates the
> lower medium along the vector and the upper medium against the vector. The
> surface downward stress is the wind stress on the surface.
>
> Best regards,
> Bruce

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 16:41:17 +0000
>> From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory at reading.ac.uk>
>> To: cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu
>> Subject: [CF-metadata] standard_names for wind stress curl, wind
>> stress divergence
>>
>> Dear Bruce
>>
>> > If there are indeed no standard_names that are appropriate, I would
>> like to suggest the following:
>> > divergence_of_surface_downward_stress
>> > curl_of_surface_downward_stress
>>
>> I don't think we have named those before and your proposals look like the
>> natural choice to me. If you could provide definitions (like those most
>> quantities have in the table) and canonical units that will constitute a
>> proposal. People may then comment and when it seems that the discussion is
>> over, if they are agreed, they'll be added to the list.
>>
>> Best wishes and thanks
>>
>> Jonathan
>>

> --
> Bruce Hackett Senior Scientist
> Norwegian Meteorological Institute (MET Norway), R & D Dept.
> P.O. Box 43 - Blindern e-mail: Bruce.Hackett at met.no
> N-0313 Oslo Phone: +47 48 048 958
> NORWAY Fax: +47 22 96 33 80

   Bruce Hackett                         Senior Scientist
   Norwegian Meteorological Institute (MET Norway), R & D Dept.
   P.O. Box 43 - Blindern            e-mail: bruceh (at) met (dot) no