⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP6 Sea Ice MIP: Ice thickness

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2016 14:19:09 +0100

Dear Martin and Dirk

I agree, Martin's point is a good one, thanks. Therefore we do need a new
name, as Dirk said.

> This variable was initially called
> "thickness_of_sea_ice_melt_pond_refrozen_ice ".

I think we could omit "refrozen" here. Of course it's true, although I suppose
snow must also fall on it, but it's not necessary to say it, I suggest. Would
  thickness_of_ice_on_sea_ice_melt_pond
be all right?

It may still be needed to have sea_ice_melt_pond as an area_type as well,
since you might wish to calculate a mean of the thickness over the melt-pond
area only (rather than the sea-ice area, the sea area or the whole grid-box).