⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] CMIP6 Sea Ice MIP: Ice thickness

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 09:44:43 -0700

Dear all,

I agree that standard name should describe the quantity itself, but not
how it's computed.

I note that for CMIP5 data we tried to make it clear how the quantity
identified by "sea_ice_thickness" was calculated, first by including the
cell_measures:

time: mean area: mean where sea

and then by including a "comment" attribute that reads:

"the mean thickness of sea ice in the ocean portion of the grid cell
(averaging over the entire ocean portion, including the ice-free
fraction). Reported as 0.0 in regions free of sea ice."

I think users of this data could easily avoid misinterpreting it simply
by reading the attributes describing it.

best regards,
Karl