⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Support for compound data types

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 08:23:28 +0000

Hello Richard

At present these netCDF4/HDF5 user defined data types are not allowed in CF-netCDF, as you can see from the output of the checker; this is also stated in the CF conventions document.

The same is true for groups, these are not allowed within CF-netCDF at version 1.6.

There has been a fair amount of discussion on this topic recently. I attended a GoESSP meeting last year and a Unidata NetCDF meeting this year where the need to understand the path to get netCDF4 features adopted for CF was much in evidence.
There is also concern about how to manage the data sets not using these features as this are adopted in new versions of CF.

There is a discussion space for a future major version of CF2
https://github.com/cf-convention/CF-2/issues
It would be great to capture your requirements in a new issue here.

I don't think that this should preclude further discussion on adopting these types in a CF 1.x version, CF1.7 may be able to accommodate such things.

It would be interesting to understand reasons why this particular feature may or may not be suitable for CF1.7.
Are there further insights from others in the community on whether these user defined data types can be incorporated into CF1.7?

all the best
mark