⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Suggestion for minor changes to explanations of threshold based standard names

From: Bärring Lars <Lars.Barring>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 16:26:54 +0000

Dear all,

The standard name air_temperature_threshold is only used in the definition of integral_of_air_temperature_deficit_wrt_time and integral_of_air_temperature_excess_wrt_time. For other threshold-based standard names involving air temperature, wind and lwe thickness of precipitation (listed below) the explanation reads ". must have a . variable with the a standard name of X to supply the threshold(s)". I.e. the threshold variable must have the same standard name as 'main variable' to which the threshold is applied. The latter seems more in line with the view Jonathan expressed in a previous email exchange (lower part of http://mailman.cgd.ucar.edu/pipermail/cf-metadata/2014/057420.html). Based on this, my suggestion is to change the explanation of the two standard names integral_of_air_temperature_deficit|excess_wrt_time to read

" . The air_temperature variable, which is the data variable of the integral should have a scalar coordinate variable or a size-one coordinate variable with the standard name of either air_temperature (preferred) or air_temperature_threshold to indicate the threshold."

With this minor change consistency with other threshold-based variables is introduced (and encouraged) at the same time as backward compatibility is maintained.

Moreover, I think that a typo has crept into the explanation of several standard names involving thresholds, namely number_of_days_with_air_temperature_above_threshold
number_of_days_with_air_temperature_below_threshold
number_of_days_with_lwe_thickness_of_precipitation_amount_above_threshold
number_of_days_with_surface_temperature_below_threshold
number_of_days_with_wind_speed_above_threshold
spell_length_of_days_with_air_temperature_above_threshold
spell_length_of_days_with_air_temperature_below_threshold
spell_length_of_days_with_lwe_thickness_of_precipitation_amount_above_threshold
spell_length_of_days_with_lwe_thickness_of_precipitation_amount_below_threshold

In the explanations the following phrase occurs: ".with the a standard name of .". I guess it should be either "the" or "a".

Kind regards,
Lars