⇐ ⇒

(unknown charset) [CF-metadata] New standard name for mass_fraction_of_petroleum_in_sea_water

From: (unknown charset) Ute Brönner <Ute.Broenner>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 07:36:57 +0000

Hei from Norway,

I read this proposal with interest!

However I would like to recommend to not accept it because of the following reasons:

1. Spilled oil at sea undergoes immediate weathering processes like evaporation and emulsification together with biodegradation and dissolution. That means that the releases matter "petroleum" or "crude oil" will not be the same after very short time.

2. As mentioned in 1., a part of the oil will dissolve into the sea water and despite the fact that some models do not account for this, many others do. So one would need a standard name for the dissolved fraction, and one for the droplet part. If we consider live oil and mixed releases, we might want a standard name for the gas fraction as well (also dissolved and bubbles).

3. Oil on the sea surface will emulsify so we would need a name for the oil mass and for the emulsion mass here.

"mass_fraction_of_petroleum_in_sea_water" will not be able to describe oil properly for many models. I would like to propose to use a standard name like "mass_fraction_of_contaminant_in_sea_water" for the simple purpose of tracking released oil or chemicals without weathering and that we need to come up with a list of standard names for the more complex cases .

Chris, I guess we have to revive our discussion on standard names for oil spill models once more. :-). Mike, maybe you could elaborate a bit more in which context you want to use your proposed standard name?

A nice summer to all of you!

With kind regards,
Ute

Ute Br?nner