⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of CF standard name region

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2016 10:24:23 +0100

Dear Martin

Yes, the problem you pointed out originally is the inconsistency of integers
with the definition

A variable with the standard name of region contains strings which indicate
geographical regions. These strings must be chosen from the standard region
list.

and following our discussion I would suggest we amend this definition to say
something like

A variable with the standard name of region contains values which indicate
geographical regions. These may either be strings chosen from the standard
region list, or integers which can be translated into strings that appear in
the standard region list using the flag_values and flag_meaning attribute of
the variable.

and that we do the same thing to the definition of area_type. Would that be
OK? In addition we can note in the convention that flag_values and
flag_meanings provide a mechanism to encode strings as self-describing
numbers.

----- Forwarded message from martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk -----