⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Use of CF standard name region

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 10:05:08 +0100

Dear Martin and Karl

Actually I think the way it's done in CMIP5 is consistent with the convention.
It is correct that region is the standard name for a string-valued variable,
and flag_values and flag_meanings supply a method to encode the strings as
numbers. This is very much like Example 3.3 in Section 3.5, where string-valued
status flags are encoded as numbers. On this email list we have advised people
from time to time to use flag_values and flag_meanings in this way to encode
strings as numbers.

You could argue that it is a bit different in principle. The intention of Sect
3.5 is to supply a way to decode numbers in a data variable into strings. That
is arguably not identical with an intention of providing a way to encode
strings as numbers in a data variable, but since the process is reversible the
mechanism works both ways! If you think that this use of the convention is not
obvious as it stands, then I would propose that we insert an extra sentence in
Sect 3.5 pointing out the use of this mechanism to encode strings. We could
include the CMIP5 basins as an example of it.

----- Forwarded message from Karl Taylor <taylor13 at llnl.gov> -----