⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Waves

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 14:04:38 +0100

Dear Roy

Thanks for redefining "wave height". That helps me understand!

> - sea_surface_wave_average_height
Could this be "mean" instead of "average"?

> - sea_surface_wave_height_of_highest_tenth
Given the definition, shouldn't this be
sea_surface_wave_mean_height_of_highest_tenth

> - sea_surface_wave_height_of_the_highest_crest
> - sea_surface_wave_deepest_trough
The definitions of these are symmetrical but the names aren't. For symmetry
and consistency with other names, I'd suggest
sea_surface_wave_maximum_crest_height
sea_surface_wave_maximum_trough_depth
thus avoiding "wave height", because it's not a wave height in your new
definition.

It is not unprecedented for "mean" and "maximum" to appear in standard names.
I understand why you prefer to do it this way, although using cell_methods
seems preferable to me. For significant wave height and mean of highest tenth
we would need new cell_methods, which aren't needed elsewhere, so the argument
is less strong for me in those cases.