⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Waves

From: Lowry, Roy K. <rkl>
Date: Wed, 4 May 2016 10:54:15 +0000

Dear Jonathan,

Thank you for drawing my attention to what is a glaring error in the existing wave height Standard Name definitions. I've no idea how I failed to spot it before - trying to fit CF into spare moments leading to too much scan reading or perhaps they were set up before I became involved in CF. The problem is that 'wave height' is the distance from trough to crest and not the distance of the crest from a plane of reference!

Whilst existing cell methods COULD be used be used in some of these cases, I really would prefer if we can follow the precedent set by the half dozen existing Standard Names such as ' sea_surface_wave_mean_period_from_variance_spectral_density_first_frequency_moment' and avoid using cell methods for wave statistics, especially where this would take very well-known terms in the oceanographic community such as 'significant height', 'mean height' and 'maximum height' out of the Standard Name. Leaving them in will both make CF wave data more discoverable, semantically more transparent and also prevent ourselves getting tied up in knots with some of the more complex wave statistics not yet under consideration.

I have yet to read Elodie's proposed definitions in detail, but certainly the observation period should not be fixed at 30 minutes. We hold wave statistics with observation periods varying from 10 minutes to 3 hours.

I propose to proceed as follows:

1) I will propose new definitions for the three existing wave height Standard Names:
2) I will go through Elodie's e-mail of yesterday and check her definitions.
3) I will comment on Elodie's proposals for energy, direction, steepness and period.
4) I will go through the remaining existing wave Standard Names.

This may take me a few weeks as I'm away on holiday for a week from Friday. For a start, here are my proposals for revised wave height Standard Names.

sea_surface_swell_wave_significant_height

Wave height is defined as the distance from a wave trough to the following wave crest. Significant wave height is a statistic computed from wave measurements collected during an observation period that approximates to the wave height that would be recorded visually by a human observer during that observation period. Swell waves are the low frequency portion of a bimodal wave frequency spectrum.

sea_surface_wave_significant_height

Wave height is defined as the distance from a wave trough to the following wave crest. Significant wave height is a statistic computed from wave measurements collected during an observation period that approximates to the wave height that would be recorded visually by a human observer during that observation period.

sea_surface_wind_wave_significant_height

Wave height is defined as the distance from a wave trough to the following wave crest. Significant wave height is a statistic computed from wave measurements collected during an observation period that approximates to the wave height that would be recorded visually by a human observer during that observation period. Wind waves are the high frequency portion of a bimodal wave frequency spectrum.

Cheers, Roy.