⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] weighted time mean vs. conditional time mean.

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2016 16:29:59 +0000

Dear Jim

> I can see where your assumption about the where clause comes from,
> but I don't find any such restriction declared in the conventions.

We didn't have anything in mind other than portions of area. Sect 7.3.3 begins

By default, the statistical method indicated by cell_methods is assumed to have
been evaluated over the entire horizontal area of the cell. Sometimes, however,
it is useful to limit consideration to only a portion of a cell (e.g. a mean
over the sea-ice area).

which is explicitly about horizontal area. I agree that the concept could be
extended to other dimensions or combinations of dimensions, but it has not
been so far.