⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] standard_names for wind stress curl, wind stress divergence

From: Bruce Hackett <bruceh>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 16:45:55 +0100

Here are proposed definitions provided by my colleague Ad Stoffelen at KNMI:

-------------------------------

divergence_of_surface_downward_stress

The divergence is a signed scalar that represents the magnitude of the 2D
surface wind downward stress vector field's source (positive) or sink
(negative) at a given point. The surface called "surface" means the lower
boundary of the atmosphere. "Downward" indicates a downward flux of
momentum, which accelerates the lower medium along the vector and the upper
medium against the vector. The surface downward stress is the wind stress
on the surface.

--------------------------------

curl_of_surface_downward_stress

The curl is a signed scalar that represents the magnitude of the 2D surface
wind downward stress vector field's local anti-clock-wise rotation at a
given point; clockwise rotation is thus given as negative curl. The surface
called "surface" means the lower boundary of the atmosphere. "Downward"
indicates a downward flux of momentum, which accelerates the lower medium
along the vector and the upper medium against the vector. The surface
downward stress is the wind stress on the surface.

Best regards,
Bruce

ps. We have just changed email systems and it was necessary for me to
reregister on the cf-metadata list in order to get my messages accepted. I
hope it works now. -B

Message: 1