⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Negative emissions?

From: martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk <martin.juckes>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 15:21:41 +0000

Dear Karl, Jonathan,

I'm happy with that interpretation. There is a slight problem in the detail: standard name definitions containing the word "emission" often have the sentence '"Emission" means emission from a primary source located anywhere within the atmosphere, including at the lower boundary (i.e. the surface of the earth).' In many standard names there are other phrases, but in, for instance the definition of tendency_of_atmosphere_mass_content_of_ammonia_due_to_emission there is no further qualification: if "source" is interpreted as including both positive and negative sources (i.e. sinks) and the defnition says that it can be anywhere in the atmosphere ... so "emission" here becomes all sources and sinks.

On the other hand, the intention is clear enough, and the specific problem I had (about anthropogenic CO2 emissions) is now resolved -- so I won't propose a change at this stage,

regards,
Martin