⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Can trajectory data without data variables be CF-compliant?

From: Signell, Richard <rsignell>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:53:02 -0500

Some ocean drifters record only position and time information, with no
additional sensor information. So just (lon,lat, time) and no
(salinity, temp, etc).

Can files with only coordinate variables be CF-compliant?

It's not clear from the DSG information in the Conventions doc -- it
doesn't seem like this case is covered.

I discovered this issue while trying to read some drifter data using
the Unidata ToolsUI application. I was not able to open the file as
"Point" featureType unless I added a dummy data variable:
https://github.com/Unidata/thredds/issues/446#issuecomment-188933356

Thanks,
Rich
--