⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to build CF-compliant seasonal climatology when data begins within a season

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 08:32:41 -0500

Hi,

So, it sounds like there is a need to extend the conventions to account
for this issue.

As a suggestion, how about specifying the climatological bounds (either
as Karl originally described or keeping the dates all within the full
time span) AND specifying the full time span with a standard time
bounds? Would that provide sufficient information?

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 2/15/16 7:02 AM, Hollis, Dan wrote:
> Hi Karl,
>
> This is a real use case for us too. And not just for short climatologies. When we compute our 30-year normals we use only the data from those 30 calendar years e.g. for 1981-2010 normals we use data from Jan 1981 to Dec 2010. Like you we create monthly normals first and then combine these to create seasonal normals. I'd not come up with a way to describe the result in a CF-compliant way so I was interested to see your question.
>
> Using daily maximum temperature as an example, I guess what we are doing is something like this:
>
> time: maximum within days time: mean over days time: mean over years time: mean over months
>
> where 'mean over days' means over the days within each calendar month
> and 'mean over months' means over the months within a season
>
> I cannot immediately see how to extend/adapt the convention to allow for this possibility.
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
_at_NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /