⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to build CF-compliant seasonal climatology when data begins within a season

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 12:49:53 -0800

Hi Jonathan,

Our thinking is the same on this. Thanks.

By the way it is a real use case and I think it is scientifically
defensible: I have 11 full years of data and I first compute a
climatological annual cycle, yielding 12 climatological months. Then I
compute the climatology for each of the seasons from the monthly
climatology. This allows me to use all the data in the 11 years. I
especially would want to do it this way if I only had 2 or 3 years of
data because I wouldn't want to omit any of it.

[Of course you wouldn't be able to do this if you were calculating say a
trend of individual seasons; in that case you clearly wouldn't want to
consider partial seasons.]

best wishes,
Karl