⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to build CF-compliant seasonal climatology when data begins within a season

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 12:04:22 -0700

Hi Karl,

I think that the existing spec can't accurately represent your climatology.

The spec implicitly assumes that all the subintervals start and end at
the same point in the annual cycle, and that therefore we can represent
both the start and end of the input data and the start and end of the
subinterval using just two dates, the start and end of the first and
last subintervals, because they are representative.

DJF data that starts in Jan of the first year and ends in Dec of the
last year violates the assumption that the two sets of boundaries align,
so I think there's straight-up no way to be accurate and follow the spec
as it's currently written.

I think it would make sense to do it by having BOTH a bounds variable
(2000-12-01 to 2011-01-01) AND a climatology variable (1999-12-01 to
2010-03-01). The bounds variable would indicate the actual start and
end of the input data, while the climatology variable would indicate the
nominal start and end of the data being represented (i.e, winter 2000
through winter 2010, inclusive.)

However, the second paragraph of section 7.4 says "a climatological time
coordinate variable does not have a bounds attribute. Instead, it has a
climatology attribute...", so that's not strictly legal by CF-1.6.

Perhaps we should propose a ticket to make it optional to have a bounds
attribute in addition to the climatology attribute, if the start and end
of the input data don't align with the subinterval boundaries?

Cheers,

Seth