⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard names for ESA GHG CCI quantities

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 14:04:00 +0000

Dear Max,

Thank you for your explanation of how the quantity is calculated. Now I understand it better, I think the best approach is *not* to include the cell_methods attribute, which describes statistical processing along a particular axis of your data variable, and instead use the standard name definition to explain how the quantity is obtained. Your explanation describes what I would intuitively expect a column mole fraction to mean, so combining this with the definitions of other CF ?standard phrases? I suggest the following:

dry_atmosphere_mole_fraction_of_methane (canonical units: 1)
?Mole fraction is used in the construction "mole_fraction_of_X_in_Y", where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The construction "dry_atmosphere_mole_fraction" means that the quantity refers to the whole atmospheric column and is calculated as the total number of particles of X in the column divided by the number of dry air particles in the same column, i.e. the effect of water vapor is excluded. For localized values within the atmospheric medium, standard names including "in_air" are used. Methane is a member of the group of hydrocarbons known as alkanes. There are standard names for the alkane group as well as for some of the individual species. The chemical formula for methane is CH4.?

dry_atmosphere_mole_fraction_of_carbon_dioxide (canonical units: 1)
?Mole fraction is used in the construction "mole_fraction_of_X_in_Y", where X is a material constituent of Y. A chemical species denoted by X may be described by a single term such as "nitrogen" or a phrase such as "nox_expressed_as_nitrogen". The construction "dry_atmosphere_mole_fraction" means that the quantity refers to the whole atmospheric column and is calculated as the total number of particles of X in the column divided by the number of dry air particles in the same column, i.e. the effect of water vapor is excluded. For localized values within the atmospheric medium, standard names including "in_air" are used. The chemical formula for carbon dioxide is CO2.?

Are these OK?

Best wishes,
Alison