⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] committee decisions

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 16:32:11 +0000

Dear all

For the record, I've just posted a ticket on some decisions made by the CF
committee during the summer by email. The main points are:

* We would like a new version of CF as soon as possible. CF 1.6 has almost
been migrated to a new format, in work initiated by Richard Hattersley, and
CF 1.7 will be built from that by applying the many agreed changes.

* In future, we will not have provisional status for changes. The new documents
will not show anything as provisional. This will make the document easier to
read. This decision was taken because in the 15 years of CF we have not so far
had to reverse a change. It seems more efficient, therefore, to put in place a
procedure for reversing mistakes if any arise (innocent until proved guilty),
rather than the opposite as we have had up to now. Moreover we have never set
up a procedure for confirming provisional changes, with the result that all
changes to date are still shown as provisional.

* It was agreed to recognise the contribution to the CF convention made by
individuals who have provided information management and support, namely John
Graybeal (Stanford University), Kyle Halliday (LLNL), Matthew Harris (LLNL),
David Hassell (University of Reading), Rosalyn Hatcher (University of Reading),
Richard Hattersley (UK Met Office), Mark Hedley (UK Met Office), Velimir Mlaker
(LLNL), Jeff Painter (LLNL), Alison Pamment (CEDA). We will maintain this list
in addition to the separate lists of original and additional authors of the
convention and contributors to the standard names table. Many thanks from the
CF community to all these people.

Cheers

Jonathan