⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] On scalar coordinate variables

From: martin.juckes at stfc.ac.uk <martin.juckes>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 09:07:22 +0000

Hi David,

Aren't there two cases here, one in which the scalar coordinate does have the same name as a dimension and one in which it doesn't? i.e.

(1) scalar NUG coordinate variable
Dimensions:
   dim1 = 1 ;
variables:
   float myvar(dim1);
   double dim1;

(2) Scalar CF coordinate variable
variables:
   float myvar;
      myvar: coordinates= "dim1" ;
   double dim1;

I see that ticket 104 assumes that the term "scalar coordinate variable" only refers to the 2nd example, but example (1) is declares a valid coordinate variable in the NUG sense which is also a scalar. If CF wants to exclude this, it needs to be explicitly stated that it is not allowed (or, if it is already excluded by the convention somehow, this restriction relative to the NUG convention should be clarified).

I'm not sure that the reference to NUG is incorrect .. I certainly didn't mean to assert that. I have the impression the NUG usage here is what users expect and so it should be in the CF convention and the other parts of the convention should be consistent. In what sense do you think it is incorrect?

Regards,
Martin