⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] new standard names for flood simulation

From: alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk <alison.pamment>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 10:12:06 +0000

Dear Chris,

Thanks for your comments on these names.

1. "Thickness" is the term generally used in CF standard names to describe the vertical extent of a layer. For example, we have the existing names atmosphere_boundary_layer_thickness and ocean_mixed_layer_thickness, and there are quite a number of others that follow this pattern. Therefore I think flood_water_thickness is the correct term for the new name.

2. The name as proposed can be used with a vertical coordinate variable or scalar coordinate variable to specify the altitude/height above the solid earth surface to which the speed applies. So you could have a speed that varies in the vertical or a mean speed representative of the whole flood_water layer. If the latter is required, you would use a scalar vertical coordinate with coordinate bounds specifying the full extent of the layer and a cell_methods of "altitude: mean". If the data values were simply taken from a representative level you would do the same thing except to specify a cell_methods of "altitude:point", I think. This flexibility means that we don't need to be prescriptive about vertical processing in the standard name definition.

3. Indeed this is a new name (distinct from the existing name surface_altitude). It is longstanding CF practice that we don't add new standard names unless someone has an actual need for them. Occasionally, this may lead to "gaps" in the standard name table which some people find surprising, but if a commonly used quantity is "missing" it simply means that no one has ever asked for it :)

Best wishes,
Alison

------
Alison Pamment Tel: +44 1235 778065