⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] original_ensemble_size

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Mon, 3 Aug 2015 16:10:19 +0000

Hello Jim

I like your thinking on this topic. I agree with you that this feels like metadata about the coordinate and that the coordinate could carry further information about the ensemble.

A new coordinate attribute named ensemble_size, which is limited in scope to being used on a coordinate with a standard_name of realization sounds like a neat and simple solution to me

If this approach is interesting, then I think that your suggestion of a new coordinate type in Chapter 5 is a good one. This would provide some nice consistency with spatial and temporal coordinates and give scope for future work in more detailed descriptions of ensembles.

At the moment I think there is some value in separating the description of an ensemble dimensions from the description of statistical processes performed with respect to an ensemble dimension. This leads me away from using cell_methods to meet my use case.

many thanks
mark