⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposal for new standard names for some cloud quantities

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 14:49:41 +0100

Dear Mark

I can't remember whether I found any existing inconsistency. Are there any
names among those which were previously added for CFMIP that have the same
definitions of evaporation and condensation as you used? Thank you for
modifying your definitions and removing problems so that for the moment we
will not be introducing an inconsistency. Using the wider definitions of
evaporation and condensation means that it's simpler to name and discuss
phase transitions gas <-> liquid or solid, while sublimation and deposition
refer to gas <-> solid, but as you imply, we would need to find other words or
phrases to refer to gas <-> liquid. In support of the general definition,
I would note that vapour means gas, and condensed means not gas (as in
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensed_matter_physics), so these words are
quite logical - but I would definitely not argue that languages are or should
be always logical! For CF consistency is a very important principle. We could
adopt your preferred definitions, if we renamed quite a few of the existing
standard names.

----- Forwarded message from Mark Webb <mark.webb at metoffice.gov.uk> -----