⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 17:19:01 +0100

Dear Jim

> I am good with having the three. I'd like to indulge in one small
> anticipation and add gregorian_tai, which is like GPS but has an
> epoch date of 1958-01-01, so it's now 36 seconds different from UTC.
> This is the "atomic clock" time system.

I agree it would be easy and obvious to include this as well. I'm not sure
whether we should do so before someone says they need it.

> There's one last question I have about all of this, and that has to
> do with proleptic times in each system. UTC was established around
> 1960, so I think that for dates prior to that we need to either say
> that UTC is assumed to match the GMT system that it replaced, or say
> that the plain gregorian calendar should be used. Since they don't
> have leap seconds, correct GPS and TAI times prior to their epoch
> dates could, on the other hand, be derived from accurate elapsed
> time measurements.
>
> No matter which way you handle it, exact conversions between UTC and
> the other time systems prior to the UTC epoch date are likely
> difficult and may be impossible. It's also true that there are, by
> definition, no true GPS or TAI times prior to their epoch dates.

I'm glad you asked about this. I think that gregorian_utc should be proleptic,
meaning that it is the same as gregorian before the UTC epoch. This is the
usual "real world" time system, and there are many observational needs for a
a continuous time coordinate that crosses the UTC epoch. Your sentence implies
that gregorian is different from "the GMT system". What is that difference?

I am not sure that gregorian_gps should be proleptic. Is there a use-case for
a time coordinate which is specifically GPS time that crosses the GPS epoch?
If so, what time system was used before GPS in that case? A minimal approach
would be to disallow gregorian_gps reference times or decoded times that are
earlier than the GPS epoch. I understand "gregorian" in "gregorian_gps" to
refer to the days-month-years rules of the calendar, but maybe this restrictive
approach would actually be calendar="gps", not calendar="gregorian_gps".