⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] proposal for new standard names for various trace gas quantities

From: Maarten Sneep <maarten.sneep>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 16:03:09 +0200

On 10/07/15 15:31, Maarten Sneep wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Below are a few quantities that I'd like to define standard_name values for. Both the
> structure of the names, and the elements in the descriptions are taken from existing
> standard_name values. Point of contention may be the definition of water vapor (not
> all quantities in the list define what they mean with water vapor). A new compound is
> semiheavy water (HDO).
>
> The canonical unit for all of these quantities is "mol m-2".
>

> atmosphere_mole_content_of_carbon_monoxide
> "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a
> quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the
> atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard
> names including "content_of_atmosphere_layer" are used. The construction
> "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X
> above a unit area. The chemical formula for carbon monoxide is CO.
>
> atmosphere_mole_content_of_water_vapor
> "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a
> quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the
> atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard
> names including "content_of_atmosphere_layer" are used. The construction
> "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X
> above a unit area. The atmosphere content only concerns water vapor as opposed to
> liquid water, i.e. water vapor that can be observed by optical spectroscopic methods.
> The chemical formula for water is H2O
>
> atmosphere_mole_content_of_semiheavy_water_vapor
> "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a
> quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the
> atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard
> names including "content_of_atmosphere_layer" are used. The construction
> "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X
> above a unit area. The atmosphere content only concerns water vapor as opposed to
> liquid water, i.e. water vapor that can be observed by optical spectroscopic methods.
> Semiheavy water is water where one of the hydrogen atom has been replaced by
> deuterium. The chemical formula for semiheavy water is HDO.
>
> atmosphere_mole_content_of_methane
> "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The "atmosphere content" of a
> quantity refers to the vertical integral from the surface to the top of the
> atmosphere. For the content between specified levels in the atmosphere, standard
> names including "content_of_atmosphere_layer" are used. The construction
> "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" means the vertically integrated number of moles of X
> above a unit area. The chemical formula for methane is CH4.

In addition to the above:

mole_content_of_methane_in_atmosphere_layer
   "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The
"content_of_X_in_atmosphere_layer" refers to the vertical integral between two
specified levels in the atmosphere. "Layer" means any layer with upper and lower
boundaries that have constant values in some vertical coordinate. There must be a
vertical coordinate variable indicating the extent of the layer(s). If the layers are
model layers, the vertical coordinate can be model_level_number, but it is
recommended to specify a physical coordinate (in a scalar or auxiliary coordinate
variable) as well. For the mole content integrated from the surface to the top of the
atmosphere, standard names including "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" are used. The
chemical formula for ozone is CH4.

(compare to mole_content_of_ozone_in_atmosphere_layer. N.B. Dobson units is not a
common unit for other species ;-))

Similar:

mole_content_of_carbon_monoxide_in_atmosphere_layer
   "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The
"content_of_X_in_atmosphere_layer" refers to the vertical integral between two
specified levels in the atmosphere. "Layer" means any layer with upper and lower
boundaries that have constant values in some vertical coordinate. There must be a
vertical coordinate variable indicating the extent of the layer(s). If the layers are
model layers, the vertical coordinate can be model_level_number, but it is
recommended to specify a physical coordinate (in a scalar or auxiliary coordinate
variable) as well. For the mole content integrated from the surface to the top of the
atmosphere, standard names including "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" are used. The
chemical formula for ozone is CO.

mole_content_of_nitrogen_dioxide_in_atmosphere_layer
   "Content" indicates a quantity per unit area. The
"content_of_X_in_atmosphere_layer" refers to the vertical integral between two
specified levels in the atmosphere. "Layer" means any layer with upper and lower
boundaries that have constant values in some vertical coordinate. There must be a
vertical coordinate variable indicating the extent of the layer(s). If the layers are
model layers, the vertical coordinate can be model_level_number, but it is
recommended to specify a physical coordinate (in a scalar or auxiliary coordinate
variable) as well. For the mole content integrated from the surface to the top of the
atmosphere, standard names including "atmosphere_mole_content_of_X" are used. The
chemical formula for ozone is NO2.

Best,

Maarten Sneep
--