⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 15:45:06 +0100

Dear Jim

> I look at your second case and consider that this looks a whole lot
> like the plain gregorian calendar case. While inputs may have been
> timestamped with UTC times, the model output definitely isn't UTC,
> and I don't see any justification for the level of precision implied
> by gregorian_utc_nls. (Note that if you know you have elapsed time
> encoded from UTC without considering leap seconds, you can actually
> precisely handle it. It's just that there are potential
> discontinuities and/or offsets encoded into the elapsed times.) As a
> result, I'd say that your second case should be labeled with
> gregorian, not gregorian_nls.

I don't agree with that, because gregorian is *imprecise*. It is deliberately
not defined whether it is GPS or UTC or whether there are leap seconds in the
encoding. This is reasonable for applications which aren't affected by this
level of precision, or the precise information is not available.

However, models running to simulate the real world (without leap seconds)
are *precise*. They do run with second precision, and there is a need to
decode their time coordinates to timestamps which are exactly right. It would
be unsatisfactory not to be able to do this, or to get timestamps which were
wrong by odd numbers of seconds. Hence this is a different case from gregorian.

I agree that you can exactly decode gregorian_utc_nls to get the accurate
timestamps, and that the inaccuracy is in the elapsed time. But that is a
different case too. For models running with gregorian_nls, the elapsed time
is correct (in model world) as well as the decoded timestamps.

Therefore I think gregorian, gregorian_utc_nls and gregorian_nls are different
and necessary use-cases, but it's the latter two which are most similar. They
are so similar that it would be hard to choose the right one reliably, so I
would rather not make the distinction. gregorian_nls cannot properly be called
UTC, because it isn't, but gregorian_utc_nls could be called gregorian_nls,
because _nls won't be needed for any real-world times apart from UTC. I'm sorry
not to have thought this through last week.