⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Specifying latitude and longitude of transects and regions

From: Hedley, Mark <mark.hedley>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 15:58:57 +0000

Hello Martin et al

this sounds an awful lot like an extensive feature definition to me.

such definitions are widely supported in spatial data sets and software.

It would be very useful to be able to define these in CF. I would not limit this (in principal) to defining the start and end of a line, there seems to me little added complexity in defining a line of n points rather than a line of 2 points. This is already done with bounds

There is lots of prior art, in ISO, GML, OGC so we won't need to invent very much.

In the end these are just coordinate collections, we can use lots of what is already in CF to define them.

If these are lines which flow is defined through then we'll also need a direction of flow to be defined, does this sound correct? There's also prior art for this.

This sounds a really useful capability extension to me. I think the extensions you are looking for could be delivered quite neatly.

I expect there will be a few ways to approach encoding this information. I think it might be worth sketching up some options and how they'd look, then discussing their strengths and weaknesses. I'd be happy to contribute to such an activity, if that would be useful.

mark