⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:36:23 -0400

Karl,

On 6/29/15 2:00 PM, Karl Taylor wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I haven't followed all this as closely as I would have liked, but will
> hazard some comments anyway:
>
> 1. I think we should require that elapsed time (recorded by the
> time-coordinate in CF files) be correct no matter what the calendar.
> So samples taken at a specific interval have identical
> time-differences (calculated from the difference between successive
> time coordinate values) whether or not the a leap second was
> introduced (or dropped?) or not.

I agree, in principle. The way leap seconds worm their way into elapsed
times is by using the "wrong" software when calculating elapsed times
from timestamps. POSIX (that is, Unix/linux) time conversion functions
do not normally account for leap seconds, so if you use them with UTC
times, you put yourself at risk a couple of different ways.
> 2. I think we should allow for basetime (the reference time stamp) to
> be recorded either as UTC or GPS. Absence of either of these would
> imply "GPS", which will therefore apply to all data written until now
> under CF.

This is great for real-world acquired times, but model times are in a
non-real time system - neither GPS nor UTC. There is also the
possibility of reference times recorded in the TAI time system, but we
can handle that by adding yet another calendar (and so on for sidereal
time, etc, etc).
> 3. Folks *generating* CF files should use algorithms that correctly
> convert their timestamps to elapsed time (which is recorded in the
> files). Then users can regenerate the timestamps correctly by looking
> at whether UTC or GPS (or neither) appears.

They should, but many haven't in the past, and the added complexity of
getting UTC time conversion functions that understand leap seconds (one
is going to be added at midnight July 1!) is overkill. When your time
resolution is on the order of 1 hour, none of this matters.
> 4. Couldn't all of the above be simply accommodated with a single
> "gregorian" calendar, but with the basetime (reference time stamp in
> the units attribute) including either "UTC" or "GPS" at the end (or
> neither for compatibility with previous written CF data)? Examples:
> "days since 1990-1-1 0:0:0UTC" or "days since 1950-1-1 0:0:0 GPS"
> (which would be equivalent to "days since 1950-1-1 0:0:0"

This would be another way to tackle it. In the past, CF also allowed for
time zone offsets, so you would need to add that as well.
> 5. Data would not be considered CF-compliant if the elapsed time
> (recorded by the time coordinate) were incorrect because it had been
> incorrectly converted by the data provider. "UTC" would indicate that
> the basetime and conversion of elapsed time to timestamps should
> follow the rules of UTC and include leap seconds. "GPS" (or absence
> of "UTC" for backward compatibility) would indicate that thebasetime
> and conversion of elapsed time to timestamps should follow the rules
> of GPS and *not* include leap seconds.

Note that UTC and GPS in the reference times (or in the calendar) don't
say anything about how to create timestamps. It tells you how to read
the reference time. How you produce timestamps from the elapsed times is
up to the data consumer. It is entirely correct to take a time variable
with a reference time in GPS, correctly convert the reference time to
UTC, and then produce UTC timestamps. The information in the time
variable tells me what I have in hand (what the data producer did), not
what I'm supposed to do with it.
> I'm sure I have missed some important use case where the above simple
> scheme would be inadequate. (Or perhaps I'm just completely out to
> lunch, in which case please forgive me).

 From my perspective there are two gaps. One is model time, which is
entirely non-physical (has no reference point that ties it into the real
world), and the other is the very real and likely continuing case where
the (in-)precision of the time measurements makes the whole thing moot.

I'm thinking that Nan's suggestion of specifying an uncertainty for the
elapsed time values (which when left off could imply that "anything
goes" as far as leap seconds is concerned) may be an elegant way through
this.

We could (whether in the calendar or the units) have:

  * gregorian, which would not take an uncertainty attribute and would
    indicate that the time base and precision are unknown (good for
    models and for backward compatibility)
  * gregorian + utc, which would take an uncertainty attribute and would
    indicate that the reference time stamp is expressed in UTC, and that
    elapsed times have no artifacts to the level of the uncertainty
    (true UTC with "wrong" conversions but only accurate to 1 minute
    would validly fit in this category)
  * gregorian + gps, which would be like gregorian + utc, except that
    the reference time stamp is expressed in GPS.

Grace and peace,

Jim
> best regards,
> Karl
>

> On 6/29/15 9:21 AM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
>> Dear Tim and Nan
>>
>> If I have understood correctly, I think your two emails suggest that we do need
>> a distinction of the precise and imprecise cases. As usual, I believe that CF
>> should not prescribe to users what they should do; its aim is to allow them to
>> describe what they have done. Different levels of precision are needed for
>> different datasets.
>>
>> Following the emails that Jim and I exchanged, we could distinguish:
>>
>> gregorian: Real world-times, but without specifying whether UTC or GPS
>> timestamps are intended, nor whether the encoding was done with or without leap
>> seconds. The decoded times could differ by several seconds from UTC. I think
>> this is Nan's use-case.
>>
>> gregorian_nls: UTC timestamps were encoded without leap seconds, with a
>> reference UTC timestamp. I think this is Tim's use-case. This is not accurate
>> according to UTC but it can be decoded precisely as intended. Jim points out
>> that it's not a real-world calendar, but it's not far off.
>>
>> Have I correctly described these as your cases?
>>
>> In addition, we propose two other calendars:
>>
>> gregorian_utc: The encoded and reference timestamps are UTC, and the encoding
>> is done with leap seconds allowed for. Hence the time coord is an accurate
>> elapsed time.
>>
>> gregorian_gps: The encoded and reference timestamps are GPS, and the encoding
>> is done without leap seconds. Again, the time coord is accurately elapsed time.
>> I think this is the use-case which originally started this thread!
>>
>> Best wishes
>>
>> Jonathan

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/Connect with us on Facebook for climate
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and
_at_NOAANCEIocngeo <https://twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>. /