⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 12:38:21 -0400

Nan,

GPS time didn't exist, as such, before 1980-01-06 (year-month-day). It
is a continuous count from the reference date and time of 1980-01-06
00:00:00 using the Gregorian calendar and the UTC time system. UTC
started using leap seconds in 1972. Before that UTC was being adjusted
by small arbitrary amounts on much shorter time scales than the current
"a couple of times every three years or so" scale. To refer to times
prior to 1980-01-06 with the GPS time system, you would be using a
"proleptic" version, and leap seconds would still matter.

I like the idea of recording the time resolution or uncertainty. I think
this could help signal to data consumers that you took the trouble
needed with leap seconds, etc to achieve a certain level of accuracy and
precision.

Grace and peace,

Jim

--