⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 19:10:59 +0200

Dear Nan

Thanks for your comment and for keeping up with the discussion. So do you think
we should distinguish these cases:

gregorian_nls. The timestamps are the real-world UTC but encoded without leap
seconds (all days of 86400 s), so not quite accurate for elapsed times, but
decoding the time coordinates will give exactly the timestamps the data-
producer intended.

gregorian. The timestamps might be GPS or UTC, and they might be encoded with
or without leap seconds, but this information is not specified, because the
data producer doesn't think that such precision is needed. In that case the
decoded timestamps will not necessarily be accurately what the data-producer
intended, because it's not recorded how the encoding was done.

I think it would be good not to have a default. At present sec 4.4.1 recommends
that the calendar is specified, but I see that we haven't included that in the
conformance doc. We should have done so, and the CF checker should produce a
warning if the calendar attribute is absent on a time coordinate variable.

----- Forwarded message from Nan Galbraith <ngalbraith at whoi.edu> -----