⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] cell_methods for climatology?

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 12:48:05 +0200

Dear Charlie

I agree with Karl and Dan that if you calculate a mean in several stages, but
the end is eventually simply a mean, then you describe this with just one
entry of "time: mean" in cell_methods. Climatological time is for a different
purpose. "time: mean within years time: mean over years" is used when there
are means for *parts* of years, for instance, if you have a climatological
monthly mean for 1961-1990. You could in the same data variable have
climatologies for more than one period e.g. for both 1961-1990 and 1991-2010,
with twelve months for each, so the time coordinate has a size of 24. The
climatology variable (instead of bounds) indicates for each one of the 24 which
month it applies to (i.e. which range of dates within years) and which range
of years.

I appreciate that you can regard a simple mean as a kind of collapsed case
of climatological mean. If you average the 1961-1990 climatology over all
months, and likewise for 1991-2010, you collapse the time dimension to size 2.
You could still describe this as "time: mean within years time: mean over
years" but the range of time within the year will be 1 Jan to 1 Jan i.e. all
of it. This wouldn't be the clearest way to describe this statistic. We don't
normally say, "This is the average annual temperature for an average year in
1961-1990." We say, "This is the average temperature for 1961-1990" i.e. a
simple "time: mean".

The reason we use a climatology att rather than the bounds att is to indicate
that the bounds are to be interpreted in a different way. The climatology
bounds indicate the range of years and the range within years together e.g.
1 Jan 1961 to 1 Feb 1990 for the monthly Jan climatology for 1961-1990. If
it were not signalled that this is a climatological statistic, you would
interpret those bounds as a continuous period of 12*29+1=349 months.

There is an open trac ticket to enhance cell_methods to describe multi-step
statistics when it's not climatological i.e. not relating to the diurnal or
annual cycle. If you have a use for this, please comment on that ticket
http://cf-trac.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/82

----- Forwarded message from "Hollis, Dan" <dan.hollis at metoffice.gov.uk> -----