⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] cell_methods for climatology?

From: Karl Taylor <taylor13>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:14:13 -0700

Hi Charlie (Carlos),

I'm pretty sure the cell_methods should only be an attribute of a
non-coordinate variable (*not* an attribute of "time").

Your 1-step and 2-step methods will yield the same answer (if you keep
track of how long each season is when you do the averaging, and you
weight the samples appropriately). CF doesn't try to record in the
cell_methods attribute the details of your algorithm. So I think you
have two options for specifying the cell_methods (for time):

If you have a "bounds" attribute for time, then "time: mean".

If you have a "climatology" attribute for time, then "time: mean within
years time: mean over years"

I'd go with the first option I think.

You can place additional information in parentheses as allowed for in
section 7.3.2 of the convention.

Best regards,
Karl