⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 09:14:31 -0400

Ben,

The problem you mention with the 360 day calendar is a real one. The
problem is that there is no valid transformation between the 360-day
calendar and the Gregorian calendar. The 360-day calendar has no point
at which it is tied into history, and it is not defined relative to the
real Earth, but some theoretical planet that is closer to a theoretical
Sun than the real Earth is. You see this same problem with certain
geographic coordinate systems, particularly with vertical datums. There
are cases where you can't transform from one to another.

Your example nicely points out another aspect to the calendar attribute
value. If you wish to express the time coordinate values as timestamps
using a different calendar than the one named in the variable, then you
have to be sure that there is a valid transform. The transformation
still only has to be applied to the reference timestamp, but
transforming a 360-day calendar date into a Gregorian calendar date is
not valid. You can do some sort of adjustment to map your model (I
assume) times into something approximating a real-world calendar, but
you still don't have real-world dates when you are done. And it's fine
to do that if that is what you need to do. I could try and tell you what
you can or can't do as a data consumer all day long, but you are going
to do whatever it is you want and need to do to get your job done.

I think the calendars can make the "units" well-defined. In fact, apart
from the time system (UTC, TAI, etc) question, I'd say that the
calendars pretty well accomplish that already. We are used to being able
to convert quantities like gallons to liters or Kelvin to degrees
Celsius, and we assume that we should be able to convert any calendar to
any other calendar. The problem isn't in the calendars, it is in our
assumption that all of them are interchangeble. They aren't. Gregorian
and Julian dates are transformable because a common basis has been
defined. UTC and GPS times are transformable for the same reason.
360_day calendar dates are not transformable to anything else because
there is no common basis with anything else. The same goes for no_leap
and all_leap calendars.

Perhaps it would be good to add some words to the calendar section to
warn users about the fact that times in some calendars can't be
transformed into other calendars. Particularly, we could add warnings to
each of the different non-physical calendars pointing out that times in
these calendars can't be validly transformed into times in physical
calendars, and vice versa.

Grace and peace,

Jim

--