⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Practical Salinity units

From: Chris Barker <chris.barker>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 09:39:38 -0700

Sorry all, I just posted a note that was out of date -- this is looking
good.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 8:51 AM, <alison.pamment at stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

> ?Practical Salinity is defined on the Practical Salinity Scale of 1978
> (PSS-78) and is calculated from the electrical conductivity of sea water
> (as well as temperature and pressure). Practical Salinity is not a direct
> measure of salt concentration, rather, it is a relative scale calibrated
> against a standard potassium chloride solution containing 32.4356 g kg-1 of
> KCl whose conductivity is measured at 15 degrees Celsius. Conversion of
> Practical Salinity to other precisely defined salinity measures should be
> performed by application of the appropriate formulas specified by TEOS-10.
> This name should not be used to describe salinity observations made before
> 1978, or ones not based on conductivity measurements. There are also
> standard names for the precisely defined salinity quantities
> sea_water_knudsen_salinity (S_K), used for salinity observations between
> 1901 and 1966, sea_water_cox_salinity (S_C), used for salinity
> observations between 1967 and 1977, sea_water_absolute_salinity (S_A),
> sea_water_preformed_salinity (S_*), and sea_water_reference_salinity.
> Salinity quantities that do not match any of the precise definitions should
> be given the more general standard name of sea_water_salinity. Reference:
> www.teos-10.org; Lewis, 1980 doi:10.1109/JOE.1980.1145448.?

This all looks good to me, though does seem like way too much information
for a standards doc. IT seems to be that providing a reference for folks
that may no know what the heck PSU is is enough, something like:

"""
Practical Salinity is defined on the Practical Salinity Scale of 1978
(PSS-78). This name should not be used to describe salinity observations
made before 1978, or ones not based on conductivity measurements. There are
also standard names for the precisely defined salinity quantities
sea_water_knudsen_salinity (S_K), used for salinity observations between
1901 and 1966, sea_water_cox_salinity (S_C), used for salinity
observations between 1967 and 1977, sea_water_absolute_salinity (S_A),
sea_water_preformed_salinity (S_*), and sea_water_reference_salinity.
Salinity quantities that do not match any of the precise definitions should
be given the more general standard name of sea_water_salinity. Reference:
www.teos-10.org; Lewis, 1980 doi:10.1109/JOE.1980.1145448.
"""

But I don't suppose there is much harm in the extra verbosity.

Thanks everyone for all this attention to detail!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer