⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name requests for TSI and SSI

From: Jonathan Gregory <j.m.gregory>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2015 14:12:48 +0100

Dear Tim

> Just a quick comment on the proposed standard name
>
> distance_from_sun (m)
>
> It seems ambiguous to me, as a distance implies a measurement between two points, and this specifies only one.

In this case, the other point is the place where the measurement applies,
so the distance from the sun is a coordinate for the geophysical quantity,
like e.g. height_above_reference_ellipsoid or projection_x_coordinate, which
are also standard names for coordinates in units of distance. We could use the
same coordinate name for any quantity one might measure in space as a function
of distance from the sun, not just the irradiance, and not necessarily at the
location of the Earth or any other body.