⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Are cell_methods attributes OK for coordinate variables?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 08:44:31 -0400

Charlie,

The way I have come to view coordinate variables vs auxiliary coordinate
variables based on discussions with this group is that "true" coordinate
variables should be considered as quite close to just that - abstract
mathematical axes. Certainly in the majority of cases where
spatio-temporal averaging is done (at least with grids) data producers
are not calculating time, lat, or lon averages to put in their time,
lat, and lon variables. They are selecting the same spatio-temporal
point relative to the origin of each time, lat, and lon cell (usually
the midpoint, but not always) and writing the values to the time, lat,
and lon coordinate variables. I'd say that qualifies as pretty abstract.
It is certainly independent of the data values.

This abstract quality is how I've understood the reason why it is not
OK, for example, to have missing_data or fill values in true coordinate
variables. They are not, strictly speaking, to be understood as
functions of input data.

The same is not true of auxiliary coordinate variables. It is fine for
them to be understood as functions of input data. They may act as
coordinates for other data variables, but they are themselves data
variables, even if it is only that they are the outputs of a coordinate
transformation.

Perhaps this understanding is way off base. I'd appreciate understanding
how the rest of the community understands the distinction between true
and auxiliary coordinates.

Grace and peace,

Jim

--