⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name requests for TSI and SSI

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 12:14:32 -0400

Hi.

There are a number of these standard names. It's easier to find them
using the Standard Name Browser http://mmisw.org/cfsn/#/
where you can put 'coordinate' in as a search term in the definition field.

One example is atmosphere_convective_available_potential_energy
<http://mmisw.org/cfsn/#/atmosphere_convective_available_potential_energy>
where there is a coordinate variable specified with a standard name of
original_air_pressure_of_lifted_parcel. Another example is
downwelling_longwave_radiance_in_air
<http://mmisw.org/cfsn/#/downwelling_longwave_radiance_in_air> which
requires a coordinate with a standard name of 'zenith_angle'. I didn't
find any examples of implied default values, other than the implied
integration over all wavelengths vs specification of a wavelength
coordinate as in surface_longwave_emissivity
<http://mmisw.org/cfsn/#/surface_longwave_emissivity>.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 5/20/15 9:17 AM, Jonathan Gregory wrote:
> Dear Odele
>
>> Just to clarify, are you asking only the members of the CF working group
>> for their view on whether a change from flux to flux_density should be
>> made in the standard names?
> The question is for everyone on the CF email list.
>
>> Also, could you provide an example where a standard name has a reference
>> parameter that has a default than can be overridden by specifying a value?
>> I?d just like to see it in ?action?, so I can best understand what is
>> being described.
> Maybe I am wrong that we have done exactly this, because I can't find one by
> searching the help text of standard names, although I haven't spent long on it.
> However, angstrom_exponent_of_ambient_aerosol_in_air is an example of a
> quantity where scalar coordinates can optionally be provided to specify
> the quantity more precisely (relative_humity and air_temperature) and
> sound_pressure_level_in_air is a quantity whose definition contains a numerical
> reference value.
>
> I'm assuming that solar irradiance is a quantity which usually refers to 1 AU
> in practice, is it? If in fact it's used just as often for other distances
> from the sun, then it would be better not to have a default, and to require
> the distance from the sun to be specified as a coordinate variable, like
> number_of_days_with_air_temperature_above_threshold, for instance. If 1 AU is
> the usual distance, but not the only possibility, then having a default with
> the possibility of overriding it is neater, I think.
>
> Best wishes

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/We will be updating our social media soon. Follow our current Facebook
(NOAA National Climatic Data Center
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANationalClimaticDataCenter> and NOAA
National Oceanographic Data Center <https://www.facebook.com/noaa.nodc>)
and Twitter (_at_NOAANCDC <https://twitter.com/NOAANCDC> and @NOAAOceanData