⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name request for FAPAR

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 09:45:52 -0700

I'm a little surprised no one else has commented on the plan to change all the photosynthetic radiation definitions. I expect you've all heard the purist view before, so I'll keep it short.

The obvious issue is that all files written with the previous definition in place -- of which there must be some, namely those who instigated the original definition -- will be henceforth misinterpreted by viewers of those files.

The generalized issue is that if it's possible for standard name definitions to change, one can never be sure what version of Standard Names the original producer of a file was using, or what definitions might have been in place (if any) in that version. One can review the entire history of definitions for a given standard name, but should we not avoid this ambiguity in the first place?

OK, that's my piece, I've said it, now we can all return to the existing "generally OK" practice.

John