⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] New standard name requests for TSI and SSI

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 13:01:19 -0400

Hi.

The definition of toa_solar_spectral_irradiance should be modified to read:

    standard name:
    toa_solar_spectral_irradiance

    definition:
    The solar power per unit area per unit wavelength that is incident
    at the top of the Earth?s atmosphere, at a standard distance of one
    Astronomical Unit (1 AU) from the Sun, in units of Watts per square
    meter per nanometer (1 nm = 10 ^?9 m). A coordinate variable for
    radiation wavelength should be given the standard name
    radiation_wavelength.

    canonical units:
    W m-2 nm-1

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 5/1/15 11:40 AM, Philip Jones - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> Hello CF,
>
> I am sending this request on behalf of Odele Coddington, Peter
> Pilewskie and Judith Lean (all copied). Please address your questions
> to them.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil
>
> --
> We are proposing two new standard names for Total Solar Irradiance
> (TSI) and Solar Spectral Irradiance (SSI) at the top of the
> atmosphere. Your comments on these two proposals would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Odele Coddington and Peter Pilewskie (CU-Boulder/LASP) and Judith Lean
> (NRL)
>
> standard name:
> toa_total_solar_irradiance
>
> definition:
> The solar power per unit area integrated over all wavelengths that is
> incident at the top of the Earth?s atmosphere (TOA), at a standard
> distance of one Astronomical Unit (1 AU) from the Sun, in units of
> Watts per square meter.
>
> canonical units:
> W m-2
>
> standard name:
> toa_solar_spectral_irradiance
>
> definition:
> The solar power per unit area per unit wavelength that is incident at
> the top of the Earth?s atmosphere, at a standard distance of one
> Astronomical Unit (1 AU) from the Sun, in units of Watts per square
> meter per nanometer (1 nm = 10 ^?9 m).
>
> canonical units:
> W m-2 m-1
>
> --
> Philip R. Jones
> Team ERT/STG - Federal Government Contractor
> NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
> <http://ncei.noaa.gov/>
> Veach-Baley Federal Building
> 151 Patton Ave.
> Asheville, NC 28801-5001 USA
> philip.jones at noaa.gov <mailto:philip.jones at noaa.gov>
> Phone: +1 828-271-4472
>
> /Connect with us on Facebook for climate
> <http://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIclimate> and ocean and geophysics
> <http://www.facebook.com/NOAANCEIoceangeo> information, and follow us
> on Twitter at _at_NOAANCEIclimate
> <http://www.twitter.com/NOAANCEIclimate>and _at_NOAANCEIocngeo
> <http://www.twitter.com/NOAANCEIocngeo>./

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/We will be updating our social media soon. Follow our current Facebook
(NOAA National Climatic Data Center
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANationalClimaticDataCenter> and NOAA
National Oceanographic Data Center <https://www.facebook.com/noaa.nodc>)
and Twitter (_at_NOAANCDC <https://twitter.com/NOAANCDC> and @NOAAOceanData