⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Is there ambiguity in labelling climatological time?

From: Charlie Zender <zender>
Date: Fri, 01 May 2015 07:55:44 -0700

Thanks all for clearing up my confusion on this issue, and for
contributing their own preferences.

Seth, I agree that midpoint labels on a climatological time
coordinate are more human-friendly than endpoint labels.
For largely the same reasons as you. Including that if someone uses
the midpoint labels on a plot, it seems more intuitive that the
data refer to the whole climatology than if endpoints are used.
However, others may think endpoints are just as friendly, or
that the perceived lacked of ambiguity (no even/odd year
questions) in endpoints outweighs the user-friendliness of midpoints.
Both endpoints and midpoints are defensible choices and
CF allows either. The CF guidance is that the choice
be "representative" of the climatology. Given that both
practices are already embedded in different datasets, I
am averse to CF becoming more restrictive and requiring
one or the other. I would support a consensus statement
that midpoint-ish values are "recommended not required"
yet I think gathering that consensus is unlikely.

Best,

--
Charlie Zender, Earth System Sci. & Computer Sci.
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(