⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Is there ambiguity in labeling climatological time coordinates?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2015 09:17:12 -0400

Charlie,

I don't think there is any requirement on the location within the
interval that you use. The climatology bounds variable is the critical item.

Grace and peace,

Jim

On 4/29/15 9:22 PM, Karl Taylor wrote:
> Hi Charlie,
>
> I think the only guidance CF provides is:
>
> "The time coordinates should be values that are representative of the
> climatological time intervals, such that an application which does not
> recognise climatological time will nonetheless be able to make a
> reasonable interpretation"
>
> I think for your case any consecutive dates within the climatological
> period would do, but like you I'd probably choose the middle year (or
> perhaps the first year, as in the example).
>
> Hope others will correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Karl
>
> On 4/29/15 5:11 PM, Charlie Zender wrote:
>> Dear CF'ers,
>>
>> The draft 1.7 conventions example Example 7.8. Climatological seasons
>> has the following for the time coordinate:
>>
>> time="1960-4-16", "1960-7-16", "1960-10-16", "1961-1-16" ;
>>
>> All else being equal, are the values
>>
>> time="1975-4-16", "1975-7-16", "1975-10-16", "1976-1-16" ;
>>
>> also be acceptable for this same example?
>>
>> The underlying question is whether there is permissible ambiguity
>> in the time coordinate values, or if for some reason the
>> beginning year (1960) must be used as in this example. An alternative
>> choice that seems reasonable to me is the use of the midpoint year
>> (1975). I'm unsure whether 1960 was chosen arbitrarily or because one
>> is expected to apply the minimum operation discussed in this example
>> (seasonal minimum temperature) to the values of the time coordinate
>> as well.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Charlie

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/We will be updating our social media soon. Follow our current Facebook
(NOAA National Climatic Data Center
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANationalClimaticDataCenter> and NOAA
National Oceanographic Data Center <https://www.facebook.com/noaa.nodc>)
and Twitter (_at_NOAANCDC <https://twitter.com/NOAANCDC> and @NOAAOceanData