⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Arctur, David K <david.arctur>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 13:37:03 +0000

Please pardon this digression, but is xkcd following this thread? http://xkcd.com/1514/ - just came out last week? ;-)

Cheers,
David Arctur
?

On Apr 28, 2015, at 4:41 PM, Jim Biard <jbiard at cicsnc.org<mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>> wrote:

Jonathan,

As I've mentioned in other emails, I don't think TAI and GPS are calendars, but I understand where you are coming from.

When you are working in the model domain you are generating your own timestamps, so you are self-consistent and have no problems. As far as that goes, there are models that use no_leap or all_leap calendars, and they are again self-consistent and have no problems. In the "real" world, we often start with UTC timestamps that have leap seconds accounted for, yet convert them to elapsed times using calculators that don't account for leap seconds. This can actually lead to elapsed time values that encode a time discontinuity and cannot be counted on to produce accurate differences between every pair of values. I'm not sure what we should call that, but I don't like the idea of naming it with a calendar.

It is true that a large majority of files "in the wild" probably either use time at a resolution that is coarse enough that none of this matters or managed to avoid having any leap seconds creep in to their elapsed time values.

I'm not suggesting that we add anything to the units attribute. I am suggesting that we need to do two things. One is to more precisely define what sorts of times can be used in the time reference part of the units attribute. I just reread section 4.4, and it actually says that the time is UTC or a time zone offset from it. I think it should stay that way and the wording strengthened to make it clearer. Since there are no leap seconds defined before the TAI epoch date, I think there would be no problem with saying that times in years before Jan 1, 1958 are assumed to have no leap seconds. (Call it proleptic UTC if you like.)

The other thing I think we need to do is provide a way to indicate that the elapsed times in a time variable are true elapsed times that are certain to be free of leap second discontinuities, or are possibly contaminated with leap second discontinuities. In connection with this we would need to add clarifying language in the CF conventions to educate people on the importance of using time calculators that are aware of leap seconds when moving between UTC timestamps and elapsed time values. This could be handled by adding a modifier to a calendar name in the calendar attribute, or it could be handled by adding a new attribute to hold this information. I think that coming up with one or more new calendar names is a more confusing and less useful way to accomplish this.

It seems to me that the historical default for existing datasets is that the leap second handling has to be "unknown". For most (maybe all) of the model datasets, the actual situation is "no leap second discontinuities". (Do you actually have any models where time in the output has a resolution fine enough and span wide enough for it to matter anyway?) For many "real world" datasets, the actual situation is "possibly contaminated with leap second discontinuities", since the times started as UTC timestamps and were converted to elapsed times using calculators that didn't consider leap seconds. (But as I mentioned, most of them probably aren't affected by the error.) We have two communities that have different defaults, so we shouldn't pick one over the other.

Grace and peace,

Jim