⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 16:02:32 -0400

Chris,

I like your definitions, overall. It seems, though, that we need a name
for a set of algorithms assuming an underpinning timescale and relating
it to astronomical stuff. This is what UTC is, as opposed to TAI or GPS
time, which fit your timescale definition quite nicely.

I want to call that set of algorithms a clock, but it doesn't quite fit.
How about "time system"? If I go with that definition, ISO8601 is a
combination of a calendar and a time system (Gregorian and UTC,
respectively).

If we use those terms, then Julian Day Number (JDN) is also a timescale,
as opposed to a calendar or time system.

When looking at your definition of calendar, I have to agree with
Jonathan's observation that UTC is a form of finer-grained extension to
the Gregorian calendar. The fact that UTC is defined to be independent
of the choice of representation for the date (you can use a calendar or
JDN) encourages me to stand by my thought that we shouldn't speak of a
UTC calendar. If BIPM doesn't then we shouldn't.

Grace and peace,

Jim