⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?

From: Jim Biard <jbiard>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 13:07:15 -0400

Julien,

The units attribute cannot have "UTC" in it. UTC is implied. Other than
that, it looks great!

Jim

On 4/24/15 12:14 PM, Julien Demaria wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks a lot for all your accurate answers!
>
> With all these information, for the moment we think the best way to
> represent our time in CF is to convert the time stamp of the units
> attribute from GPS to UTC.
>
> We cannot change it for the GPS beginning 1980-01-06 so we must
> transform the 2000-01-01 from GPS to UTC to be more CF compliant.
>
> We also specify GPS in the long name and in a new non standard
> time_reference attribute :
>
> int64 time_stamp(rows) ;
>
> time_stamp:standard_name = "time" ;
>
> time_stamp:units = "microseconds since 2000-01-01 00:00:*13*UTC" ;
>
> time_stamp:long_name = "Elapsed time since 01 Jan 2000 0h GPS" ;
>
> time_stamp:time_reference = "GPS"
>
> I think with this solution a CF compliant software (which not support
> leap second) should interpret time ?correctly?.
>
> Let me know if I missed something.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Julien
>
> *De :*Manning, Evan M (398B) [mailto:Evan.M.Manning at jpl.nasa.gov]
> *Envoy? :* vendredi 24 avril 2015 14:30
> *? :* Chris Barker; Julien Demaria
> *Cc :* Jonathan Gregory; cf-metadata at cgd.ucar.edu
> *Objet :* RE: [CF-metadata] How to define time coordinate in GPS?
>
> It's probably overkill but for Suomi NPP CrIS and ATMS we are planning
> to provide
>
> timestamps for each obs in both TAI and UTC.
>
> TAI is the true time dimension, but UTC gives users a correct UTC if
> that's what they want and should minimize the temptation for them to
> do TAI to UTC conversions using tools which don't understand leap seconds.
>
> -- Evan

CICS-NC <http://www.cicsnc.org/> Visit us on
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/cicsnc> 	*Jim Biard*
*Research Scholar*
Cooperative Institute for Climate and Satellites NC <http://cicsnc.org/>
NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information <http://ncdc.noaa.gov/>
/formerly NOAA?s National Climatic Data Center/
151 Patton Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
e: jbiard at cicsnc.org <mailto:jbiard at cicsnc.org>
o: +1 828 271 4900
/We will be updating our social media soon. Follow our current Facebook
(NOAA National Climatic Data Center
<https://www.facebook.com/NOAANationalClimaticDataCenter> and NOAA
National Oceanographic Data Center <https://www.facebook.com/noaa.nodc>)
and Twitter (_at_NOAANCDC <https://twitter.com/NOAANCDC> and @NOAAOceanData