⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Applying multiple conventions

From: Signell, Richard <rsignell>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 13:59:37 -0400

David,

I looked at this a bit and I'm not sure that
http://cf-trac.llnl.gov/trac/ticket/76 actually captures this need, as
UGRID is intended to *extend* CF, rather than a stand-alone
alternative.

For situations like CF and UGRID, which *extends* CF, it would appear
from this guidance
(http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/netcdf/conventions.html)
that the foward slash separator should be used:

Conventions = "CF-1.6/UGRID-0.9"

This is discussed more in github issue
(https://github.com/ugrid-conventions/ugrid-conventions/issues/11#issuecomment-79157891)

-Rich

P.S. Chris also points out that the current CF-1.6 document
http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.6/build/cf-conventions.html
there is an unfortunate error/typo that says the convention should look like

Conventions = " CF-1.6 " (e.g. with spaces on either side of the quotes)

Happily, this is gone in the 1.7 version at:
http://cfconventions.org/Data/cf-conventions/cf-conventions-1.7/build/cf-conventions.html

But perhaps it would be good to edit the CF-1.6 doc if that is indeed a typo.