⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] provisional status for changes to the convention (Jonathan Gregory)

From: Schultz, Martin <m.schultz>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2015 15:49:48 +0000

Dear Jonathan, all,

    we have had this discussion about provisional status earlier, and I remember having received quite a bit of support for a proposal to have a provisional status with a fixed lifetime. I still believe this would be better than having to revert changes and create confusing new document versions. I don't know what can be implemented (easily) in GitHub, but I think there are various ways which don't differ too much in what they accomplish, and one of them is hopefully both acceptable and easy to implement:
Variant A) introduce a fixed publication cycle for the convention, e.g. every 6 or 12 months with a "moratorium period" of, say 3 months, before publication. This means that changes are only accepted up to 3 months prior to the next publication, so there is a 3 months period for testing and commenting/reverting changes. New changes would go into the next cycle only. This scheme is adopted from software releases ("release candidate").
Variant B) add date label to all changes and automatically accept them after a fixed period (say 6 months) unless these changes were edited/reverted again in the meantime (then, the date label should be changed to the last modification).
Variant C) establish a "review panel" to go over modifications on a semi-regular cycle and accept everything that has not been questioned recently. This may sound more personnel-intensive than the other two options, but I would guess that in reality the difference will be marginal if the review panel is kept small.

Best regards,

Martin