⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Editing/publishing workflow update

From: John Graybeal <jbgraybeal>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 11:07:56 -0800

Jonathan, thanks for this update, just the information I was looking for. I agree this is a good opportunity for this discussion, and a good one to start on the list.

In what follows, I explore the need for a provisional period, and advocate its elimination. Instead we can add a simple requirement for an example data file (binary and NCML), demonstrating the proposed change before it is approved. (An example application using the data file could be encouraged, but in most cases would not be important to recognize the validity.)

Why should we make this adjustment?

(1) There are definite technical and social costs to the provisional period. Technical, to implement and maintain provisional text, and to describe how it works. (And have this discussion every few years.) Social, in the creation of a burden of understanding for new users, who see a needlessly complicated presentation of the standard; and then a non-trivial explanation of the presentation's meaning; and finally have to consider themselves how important it is to consider the provisional parts in their own work. And how often would we tell that user to avoid a provisional change?

(2) The statement that it has not proved necessary to date -- in how many years and CF versions? -- is a powerful consideration. (Compare to CF's insistence on only considering standard names *that are already needed.*)

But for the possible edge cases to come, let's take the alternate case, where a new specification is adopted and proves unworkable, and see what the worst case scenario is.

Given that a few applications will simultaneously implement the change, one or more of them will find the problem, and report it. There are a three possibilities: the problem can be tolerated; the problem must be fixed but the fix advances the change; or the problem must be fixed by reverting the change.

The vast majority will certainly be in the first two categories. Indeed, both have been experienced already in minor forms, as CF improves each cycle. Prompt attention will certainly be given in the second case, so the cost, inconvenience, and damage are minimized (and in any case will be equally incurred with a provisional period).

In the third case, what are the costs without a provisional period? A few groups have unexpectedly lost some time -- but that will happen with the provisional period too. The community/standard must backtrack, issuing a revision that undoes the change -- but this too comes with the provisional period. There might be an arbitrary number of data sets following the flawed interim specification, but this can happen with the provisional case too (and they may get the advantage of the change without the impact of its flaws anyway). While there are potentially squirrelly edge cases here, they are way, way down in the weeds, and are not actually avoided in any practical sense by the provisional period.

(3) It doesn't really help. From this above scenarios, I see the benefits of the provisional period, even in the most unlikely and pathological case of oversights and errors leading to squirrelly outcomes, are minimal at best.

John