⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] Editing/publishing workflow update

From: Hattersley, Richard <richard.hattersley>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 16:50:06 +0000

Jonathan,

Thanks for the rapid feedback.

> Not all the formatting is quite right, as I am sure you know e.g. in the examples, and especially in Appendix D.

Quite so. If this idea has wings then we'll need to record all these deficiencies.

> I see that the doc doesn't say which version it is.

It does at the top, but it's quite small. This is just the default rendering style though so could be changed. I'm guessing normal books don't care about the version that much!

> I expect you're still working on it.

That remains to be seen... but I suspect so. ;-)

> In the "official" version there is markup for changed text, as you know. Is there a way to do this?

There is, but my current pipeline explicitly removes such things to show the document in its "finalised" form.

> Jeff Painter's opinion would be valuable.

Absolutely!

> My main concern is review.

I see no reason why the current trac process couldn't remain for now. Once the changes have been finalised on trac then someone (probably either the originator or a maintainer) could submit those changes via GitHub, with reference to the trac original.

However, there is the potential for even greater benefit if the trac tickets themselves are moved to GitHub. This would allow inline reviewing of proposed changes.

Either way, one or more people (e.g. Jeff) would need to be given merge rights to the GitHub repo. (To be clear, I am not trying to get myself on that list!)

Regards,
Richard