⇐ ⇒

[CF-metadata] how to indicate a variable representing a physical quantity is an observation, a modelled value, a difference or residual, etc.

From: Aaron Sweeney <aaron.sweeney>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 15:46:51 -0700

Dear Jonathan,

       Thank you very much for your comment. The parenthetical "...from
different sources /(such as observations and models)/" is missing from
section 3.3 (Standard Name) of the CF Conventions v1.6 (and draft
v1.7). This is important for proper interpretation. On initial reading
of the section 3.3, I interpreted the word "sources" to mean data
providers. I would recommend adding your parenthetical to the
documentation and possibly refer the reader to ACDD v1.3 to address the
question of how to attribute a variable as originating from observation,
model, or other, as suggested by John Graybeal.

Cordially,
Aaron